Monday, August 6, 2007

Early August 2007

Blog for Thursday Departure, August 2.

Today was the day that we’ve been planning on as the beginning of the new adventure. Since the plane didn’t leave Atlanta till 9:00PM, it did make for a leisurely packing and preparing evolution. It was nice to hear from all the kids and friends who called to wish me well. It certainly does give one the ability to move forward with the support of so many.
My wife drove me to the airport and even went inside to the gate to say a final farewell…a true act of love! The flight planning and departure will be great planning tools for her and her departure. We did learn a few items checking in: (1) The international limit on bags is TWO, each bag over is $100.00; (2) The weight limit on each bag is 50# and ANYTHING over that limit is charged an additional $25.00, if you are close and want to take the time balancing is always an option; (3) carry-on limit is 40# (but no one checks).
The flight was scheduled for fourteen hours. Since it was so late in the day and knowing that I would be served dinner I abstained from food after lunch. Boarding with two Business Class seats, I spread out and enjoyed a glass of Champaign. Pushback and takeoff were uneventful. I didn’t think the menus in Business were as good as they have been in the past, but I was full after dinner and two glasses of wine. By the way---Hot Fudge sundaes are BACK! My final drink about 11:30PM on the 2nd was a glass of water and an Ambien.
With my new Bose headsets keeping everything quiet on the aircraft I awoke and saw that the plane would land in two and a half hours! I had just lost all my professional and reading time! It certainly makes a trip go fast through.

Beginning of August (3rd) Arrival into Dubai:

Descent, approach, and landing into Dubai were uneventful. Long taxi into the gate, but Business was first to deplane. It was 103 degrees on the outside and a cool 76 on the inside. The jetways and ramps remind me very much of all the glass at Munich. It is a super clean airport with all signs in English. After clearing immigration, where no Visa is required, I immediately went to the Duty Free Store where you can bring items (Rum + Wine) into Dubai for a reduced rate. Even found that I could use my airline ID for an additional 10% off. I then found my baggage and headed for customs. With nothing to declare, my bags went through another scanner and I was on my way.

After leaving the customs area and out into the real world, I immediately saw a large sign for “Captain Bob Davis.” My driver from Safi took my bags and off to the limo. Like most large airports, it took more time leaving the parking lot than actually getting to my apartment.

I met my new boss, John Bigelow, at the apartment. He had nicely turned my a/c on and charged my new cellphone…so I am in business. I’ll send the new numbers for the apartment and cell when I know them myself. Now they just ring!

The apartment is very nice! The furniture is brand new, IKEA 2007 modern furniture, fully furnished kitchen, and best of all--- one and a half baths. This definitely makes visitors welcome and comfortable. Plenty of sleeping space and hopefully pictures will be placed into this blog. Tomorrow is another day!

080407 Somewhere the 3rd turned into the 4th. Since John is now sick, the Driver didn’t pick me up till 12:00 and I showed up at the Safi Offices on my own. Everyone was very nice and went out of their respective ways to make me feel at home. I spent all my time with Captain Saleem (EVP of Safi) discussing what I would be doing and how the airline is progressing. He then called one of the owners of Safi and the three of us then went for a welcoming lunch. Seven courses is a little heavy for 2:00 in the afternoon, but I was able to survive!

I felt much like LWP in that I didn’t quite know what was arriving but thought I should at least try to be polite. What I can remember at this point is starting with two types of olives, various types of humus (garlic and olives, tomato and onion), various salad fixings to be put together, spring rolls, cheese bread but really rolls, sautéed meat inside egg plant, flat bread, and I finally was able to choose the mixed kabobs (chicken, lamb, and beef). It turned out to be a great meal and I’m still full eight hours later!

After lunch I was given my plane ticket to Bahrain leaving next Monday at 4:45PM arriving at 5:45PM. The majority of that hour will be spent taxiing. I will be visiting the Gulf Air Simulator complex and getting the training program set up for the other pilots arriving in about two weeks. More will be forthcoming on this subject after the fact.

As things always turnout differently than expected, high speed internet is not yet available in the building. I’m told it should only be about three weeks (bets?). So until then, email will be slow.

I was able to get out and walk around the area to get my bearings. This is really a high rise bedroom community for Dubai that should overtake Dubai population wise in four years. Not too much here except for three grocery stores and two laundries. Without traffic, it is about a ten minute ride to work, with… I did have the driver stop at a super market for supplies on the way back and even saw there was a Chile’s Restaurant! As everyone had expected, there was no ham in the store! Very clean and efficient operation though.


080507 Today started off very slow. The driver had a residency problem to be handled immediately so he couldn’t pick me up till 11:30. It actually turned out for the better because John felt well enough to go over the items that I should cover in Bahrain. Found out the manual for the aircraft may be delayed by Boeing and may not arrive for ten days. Can’t have everyone else here unless we get those.

The weather did rise to 110 degrees during the afternoon. At least it was 78 degrees in the office. On another topic, the aircraft in China had the final registration numbers painted on and will be ready for pickup in the next ten to fifteen days.

I did leave work at 6:00PM today and it only took about 30 minutes to get back to the apartment, with traffic a least moving. I'm still a little tired from the trip over so just laying low for the time being. Tomorrow will be a long day after work and the trip to Bahrain. I understand the hotel I’m in has high speed internet (right!). If that is true, there will probably be a mass download of all the items from the last week.

080607 I continued to have a little problem sleeping last night after four hours. Woke up about 2:30AM so I decided to pack for the trip to Bahrain and continued reading till about 4:30AM. Decided to try to go back to sleep and the next thing I remember is John calling at 9:00AM to discuss the trip. I was out like a light, so the transition must be complete!

Latif, our duty drive, took me to the airport at 1:45PM. The trip only takes about 10 minutes, but I was leery of traffic. Turns out it only took 12 minutes.

The flight process at Dubai is very interesting. To get to the check-in counter you must go through security. Check-in with Gulf Air was very quick and efficient. From there you must go through security again to get to immigration. At no time were small liquids checked or tooth paste, which I had all left back in the apartment knowing I would lose them. I did notice a couple people go through, get beeped, and then just waved through.

The Dubai airport is HUGH! When the new terminal, which can handle approximately 12 A380s side by side, it will have about a four to five mile walk from end to end. In the middle of this security zone is a dynamic city within a city. If I can attach a picture I will. I’m still amazed that everything in Dubai is going UP, UP, UP! Emirates Airlines will be the “Pan Am” for the next generation. Of course, that means many jobs for the Americans and English. My Gulf Air flight today had two Brits flying.

I’m staying at the Movenpick tonight and really enjoying a good meal, good air-conditioning, and great TV. In Sharjah we only get 140 channels of Arab
music and news.

Tomorrow starts the training set-up, so more will follow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo!! Very exciting stuff. Before you know it, you'll be a hummus addict. You'll be happy to know Jackie is having trouble with her internet in Beirut -- so you're not alone.

JDF

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you too are a Desert Rat now...no thickets of pine trees!
ESW/RMB

Anonymous said...

Is cable 20 dollars a month in Dubai like it is in Atlanta?


Wes flew in a P-3 today! He said it was like a party with 12 friends along for the ride!