Saturday, September 1, 2007

Labor Day weekend

083107 Last Saturday at the end of the day we had a lot of commotion in the office. I was working at my computer and sensed that there was more activity than normal. I looked up and saw an elderly gentleman in a very well pressed Arab outfit and about three others with him. Looking outside I could see a very expensive set of three cars. He came over to me, shook hands, and just said “nice job!” I replied “thank you!”

I immediately got I’s attention and asked who he was and was told he was the elder S. He was the father of the two sons who run the airline. Very impressive! More on this for quiet nights on the lake.

We started calling the pilots over this week. It is really a very simple procedure to make a reservation, get a ticket, and get on an airplane in the states. However, when one has to deal with the owner’s travel agency, Safitesx, it does get quite dicey. I made up a very simple list of the pilots, their home airports, and the day I wanted them to leave. F, the Safitesx representative, received the list four days before the first pilot was to depart. The day before the first pilot was to depart; I had the secretary call to see the schedule and was informed he was waiting to find a “good deal!” Needless to say, he waited too long for this “good deal.” After he confirmed the flight, he didn't leave the pilot enough time to get to the airport. So much for working together!

It seems that my whole week was dealing with F and his mistakes. He cost Safitesx a great deal of money, not sure he will be around long.

We have been waiting quite a while for the Chinese Crew Visas. All things may be possible in Afghanistan, but certainly not with China and the Chinese. One would believe the Chinese would want the plane off the ramp, but not enough to send a “letter of invitation” to us for the local consulate to issue the visa. So, just like in the military, we wait and wait and wait! Then I’m sure it will be a rush evolution. Anyone who has picked up a plane out of rework knows that it really isn’t ready just because someone says it is. Since I will have two other pilots with me going to China, I had to change the Bahrain training till later in September. I’m willing to give the Chinese two weeks leeway and then training starts.

By the end of the week, all but one of the pilots had arrived. I had everyone to my apartment on Friday night and it seem to go very well, even for a dry Emirate. Keep in mind I only said the Emirate was dry (not the apartment)! I did find it very interesting after all their fourteen and fifteen hours flights, every one of them, like me, said they had slept on the aircraft and felt very good. They felt the time change at night about 0200 and not being able to sleep till about 0700. The old “rule of thumb” of one day/hour of time change still applies. I guess it is just like the rule of thumb (right PF).

We’ll end this blog up with the hope that the next one will be from Beijing, China.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you managed to pull off a labor day party in Dubai! What did you do for your birthday?